IV Sedation Dentistry For Comfort – Rochester MI by Contemporary Smiles.
How Does IV Sedation Dentistry Work and Is It Right for You?
Most people are not exactly fond of dental visits and associated procedures. The American Dental Association estimates that 22% of Americans avoid dental visits due to fear and anxiety. Putting off dental visits increases the risk of tooth loss, severe dental infections, or even oral cancer. Fortunately, dentists are now using dental sedation techniques which are aimed at helping patients obtain the necessary dental care without the characteristic pain and anxiety.
What is IV sedation dentistry and how does it work?
Intravenous (IV) sedation refers to the administering of an anti-anxiety drug through the blood during your dental treatment. An IV sedation dentistry is sometimes referred to as ‘twilight’ or ‘sleep’ dentistry. However, rather than putting you to sleep, the sedative helps you to relax and feel at peace. While you will be in a position to respond to the dentist’s questions, your treatment procedure will be vague once the sedative wears off.
How does IV sedation work?
During your dental appointment, the dentist will introduce a thin needle into a vein on your hand or arm. The needle is connected to an intravenous tube that delivers the sedative directly into the bloodstream. A numbing cream may be applied to the area that will be pricked by the needle if you fear needles.
While some patients stay with the IV for the entire duration, others might not be able to do so. In this case, the drug is administered, and the needle removed.
Both situations achieve the same degree of conscious sedation. The doctor will constantly monitor your pulse and oxygen levels to make sure you do not have a negative reaction to the sedative. Your blood pressure will also be checked before and after the procedure. You might feel a little groggy after the procedure. For this reason, have a family member or friend drive you home. It’s also advisable to take the full day off so that you can have sufficient rest.
Benefits of IV sedation dentistry
Compared to other forms of sedation dentistry, the IV is more beneficial because:
- The effects of sedatives administered through the bloodstream are achieved in a shorter duration.
- IV sedation is suitable for patients with gag reflex.
- IV sedation does not affect body processes, but only eliminates your ability to feel pain. Thus, you will be able to breathe or even move on your own. This also makes it easy for the dentist to identify any abnormalities during the procedure and respond swiftly.
- The dentist can perform multiple procedures in one visit. This means that patients who need extensive dental care can receive treatments in fewer visits. This not only reduces the fear and apprehension associated with dental visits but also cuts down on dental care costs.
- The amnesic state typical of IV sedation implies that the patient has little or no recollection of what happened during the procedure. The patient is not aware of the smells, sounds, and sights of the procedure or the dental office.
- Due to the fewer side effects compared to other sedation methods such as general anesthesia, there is less discomfort after the procedure.
Is IV sedation dentistry right for you?
An IV sedation is an excellent option if you are apprehensive of needles, the dentist, or dental procedures. Your dentist may also recommend this form of sedation if you are undergoing such procedures as complex root canals, implant placement, and extractions. You may also opt for IV sedation if you experience dental anxiety, and you need to undergo multiple dental procedures.
Contact Us at Contemporary Smiles Today: (248) 754-1111
Dentist Rochester Hills – Dentist Rochester MI – Contemporary Smiles
You can depend on Contemporary Smiles to be the dental home that fulfills all of your needs and takes care of your entire family. We are happy to offer our dental talents to you, and you can expect to be a valued, loved patient. We are a comfortable, comprehensive dental practice that gives you complete care on your schedule and your time.
Dr. Terry Buday and Dr. David Tapani are dentists who care about their team and patients and considers them all as their dental family.
Why Choose Us?
Comfortable Relaxed Environment – Cowards Welcome!
30 Years of Experience in Rochester Michigan
Sedation Dentistry Available for Comfort
Implants, Crowns, Porcelain Veneers, and Bonding
Invisalign – Transparent Alternative for Metal Braces
Tooth Colored (Mercury Free) Fillings
Contemporary Smiles – Dentist Rochester Hills MI – Terry Buday DDS and David Tapani DDS – State-of-the-Art Cosmetic Dentistry.
Call Today 248-754-111.
Contemporary Smiles in Rochester Michigan provides gentle family dental care and state-of-the-art cosmetic dentistry.
Call today for an appointment or consultation: (248) 754-1111